Thursday, November 13, 2008

The '59 Sound



God Damn. I love this band. This shit is so good. Just the simple melody of those first notes on the guitar are so fucking moving. Completely on par with the first time I heard Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run or Thunder Road. Yess, it's that good. It's a mix of rock and soul and punk with such melancholy and catchiness that makes every track completely epic. It's perfect for dancing on a saturday night, or for listening to on your iPod when it's raining outside on a sunday morning. In short, it's about all I've been listening to for the last few weeks.
I saw them at Generation Records in New York this summer with Gabe (thanks Vinnie), playing for a crowd of maybe 60 kids in their basement and I think it could've been the best thing ever if only I had heard of them at that point. It was good, but the sound was too poor to pick out the genius of the melodies and lyrics and I was content standing on the side taking pictures and watching people enjoy them so much. If only I had followed Yvo's advice a year ago to check out their debut record.. but well, so it goes, so it goes.

Anyway, they're playing at the Melkweg on the 1st of March. Santina is DJ'ing and I can't fucking wait! If you want guestlist spots go bother Santina on her MySpace page or something. It's going to be good.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Okay, it's official! You've played this shit so often I'm even starting to like it!